Monday, September 11, 2006

So I have a bike...

18:21 CEST, 12:21 EST - Haha this weekend was a pretty good story. So Friday I was a little homesick cause I realized that it was Friday and I didn't have any of my boys from home to go out with - that made me a little sad, but I got over it and had a great time at the bars with all the girls. David (the only other dude on the trip) got a job working at the bars so I couldn't go out with him but it was still fun we had a good time.
Then Saturday we fooled around... slept in late and grabbed some food and really did nothing for most of the day. Then, while Dave and Chamille were getting ready, I made a gametime decision to go with some of the girls out to a really fancy resaurant. The UM - Central game had been stopped and I was just like ok I'll go. I'm glad I did.
On the way to the place, I found out that the girls knew a guy that worked there and so him and some of his friends ended up meeting us up there. After a long (4 hours and realllly good) dinner, we ended up leaving the place at 12:30 and then we went to a disco after that until much later. Again another fun night. The next day these guys took us (the girls and me) to a pool where we swam and played some volleyball and soccer. These guys were from Morocco and they knew how to play, I felt like I was watching a pro team. They really were nice to me (maybe it was just because I was rolling with three good-looking American girls, but still) and they offered to help us find a bike.
Fast forward to today. After class some of us decided to buy tickets to Oktoberfest in two weeks! So I am stoked about that. It's only two days (one night) but it still should be a lot of fun.
After we did that a couple of our new Moroccan friends took us to a garden to get new bikes. We walked around the garden for a little while we saw some shady looking dudes riding bikes that they were more than willing to get off of their hands. After a little while 3 of us had bikes and we walked to a Sept. 11th memorial (one of the only ones in Italy) and it was pretty big. There was a huge piece of one of the buildings built into this memorial. It was very moving. As we were walking back, we were approached by the former owner of one of the bikes who apparently just had his bike stolen. Luckily our friends knew how to handle the situation and after a couple intense moments Dave was able to get his money back and the guy was able to get his bike back. No harm done. Apparently bike stealing happens a lot here, I guess I need to get a lock.
Anyway, David and I are now watching cnn.com's tribute to 9/11 and I think I'm going to take a nap soon. More to come later hopefully. Ciao!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Stevo,

EXCELLENT ADVENTURE!!! And yes, get a LOCK!!

Have you ever watched the Italian movie classic --

'Ladri di biciclette' (translation Bicycle Thieves)

-- I saw this classic movie when I was in college and took Italian Cinema (yes, they called the class a mick -- short for Mickey Mouse), however, I thought the movie was Fiction -- sounds like it was a documentary!!!

Enjoy your bike!!

Ciao,

Uncle Bruin

Schragoo said...

Actually I have, Uncle Jim. I thought of the same thing! haha

Anonymous said...

Hey Stevo - Your dad sent me your address and just wanted to say hi. What a wonderful opportunity for you!!!!! I will forward to Ryan too. A. Jan

Anonymous said...

Hi Stephen have fun on your bike. Quite a story. Sounds like you`re having fun. Are you learning to speak in Italian? Going out to dinner with your Mom and Dad and Msgr Bass. on Friday. Msgr is treating us to dinner at the Lark- afancy restaurant in Troy. Will update you on that.
Stay happy and healthy,
much love, Grams

Anonymous said...

Hey Stevo,

Hope your having a great time in Italy,sounds pretty fun.

Can't wait to hear more.

Bye

Love,
J.D.

Danny said...

Steve-
Sounds like you're having fun! I'm writing a paper about you in Zolik's class-we'll see what kind of grade I get... I gotta get to soccer practice bu I'll talk to you later!
P.S. Like the picture?
-Danny