Wednesday, January 06, 2010

They are watching...

Thursday, January 7, 2010 – 2:48 A.M. CST (Local) – BEIJING

Hi again!  It is now quarter to 3 A.M. local time here in Beijing and I can't sleep!  I managed to get about four hours in so far but I thought I would try and update real quick.  Unfortunately, I won't be able to respond to many (or any) comments because they have many blogging sites blocked - but I should still be able to post.  Just don't tell anyone.

Alright I have no idea where to begin so I am just going to plunge in.  Our colleagues William and Borja were waiting with smiling faces after we went through customs yesterday which was probably the best feeling of the trip so far. Leah and I weren't entirely sure they knew which flight we were on and we hadn't officially confirmed they were going to pick us up. Needless to say we were a little apprehensive. After formulating several gameplans in the event they weren't there, it was a relief to know we weren't going to have to implement them.  It was also a great relief to talk to Borja who is taking the driver's seat for our tour and essentially hosting Leah and me for the next three weeks. 

A little bit about Borja.  I met Borja several months back during our We Day bonanza (that's a good word to describe it right now).  We were able to hang out a little and he explained to me a little bit about his life.  Born in Spain, raised in Holland, has lived in China for just about 5 years now (he is 25) and is recently married to a girl of Chinese/Korean (I think) decent.  I hope to meet her soon.  Borja's Chinese is surprisingly good – though he is modest about it – and is a very REAL person.  The two hours we spent with him earlier this evening has given us a greater perspective of the task at hand then the past four months.  It is also nice to know that he has a fantastic grasp of the situation and presents it to us in a very blunt and unassuming manner.  Leah and I both work best when things are not sugar-coated for us.

What we NOW know:  We have 10 schools booked!  Borja has been able to secure several more speaking engagements INCLUDING three in a city where William and our accountant Victor are from in Northeastern China.  The name of the city escapes me but apparently they make a lot of steel there so in my mind I have already likened it to Pittsburgh – a city I have never visited but have somehow managed to form a memory of.  Funny how that works.   Maybe it's transferred like a memory from the pensieve in Harry Potter.  I digress…

I think the biggest challenge at this point is going to be introducing these children to a concept that is very foreign to them: thinking on their own.  Borja explained the schools here as very disciplined no-nonsense environments that are very mechanical and deliberate with their curriculum. That way of learning is very much in contrast to the message our organization and workshops attempt to foster, though I would also argue the two methods to be complimentary.  A steady regiment of both deliberate and freeform education, I believe, promotes disciplined creativity which can be beneficial to all professions.  Mostly Borja is just excited to have us here – as a pretext for engaging schools that were not previously committed to fundraising for FTC.  The three of us will be going to schools in Hong Kong (a place none of us have been) and most likely will be presenting a brief summary of our involvement in China to employees at the Disneyland offices for Club Penguin – as a way for them to better understand the philanthropic undertakings of their corporation.   

Lastly, Big Brother is watching.  Everywhere.  And just like a sibling, interferes with everyday life.  I haven't been here for that long but government involvement in everyday life is VERY apparent.  From the minute we walked out of the airport and saw hundreds of people shoveling the streets to get rid of the snow to walking into the hostel and staring at a machine that reads your body temperature and alerts an authority if you have a fever (remnants, Borja said, of the Bird Flu that raised alarm several years ago).   It is also very evident in regards to the internet.  The Chinese proxy doesn't allow for facebook, youtube, blogger, etc.  It also didn't allow me to view anything from CNN.  It is a strange feeling waiting for a website to load knowing that either a person or a machine is deciding whether or not I should be allowed to view the page I am trying to access. Also,  as I have just experienced, I must be careful about what I say- apparently using the terms "freedom" and "American Hero" (two very commonly used expressions in my personal everyday chats) will lose you g-chat and g-mail privileges. I hope they let me back on so I can send this out!

Until the next time, friends!

Steve

3 comments:

Jean Schrage said...

Hi Stephen!!!
We are so excited that you made it, safely.
Thank you so much for updating your blog. We can all live vicariously and I can sleep a little better knowing you are OK! I am very grateful you have a FTC connection there in China, that also helps me relax about you being so far away.
I am really glad you already have 10 speaking dates, but it is going to make for a very busy trip. It sounds like you have your work cut out for you.
Don't forget to take lots of pictures. Try to post some.
Enjoy every moment - this is a once in a lifetime.
We miss you!!!
Love, MOM:)
Please send my best to Leah!!

Anonymous said...

Hilarious commentary Steve. BTW Grandma grew up outside of Pittsburg. That's where the memory comes from. It's hereditary. love and miss you. aunt chris

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.