Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Greetings from the Chinese International School in Hong Kong!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Axel_Foley12:17 P.M. HONG KONG ISLAND - 

Hello everyone!  As I sit and write to you now, I am finishing up a cup of Ox-tail soup (not bad), finishing up some e-mails, and staring out at the beautifully green mountains that we are sitting in.  Did I mention we are in an outside cafe wearing T-shirts?  (See photo.)  I have said this before and I will say it again but it is REALLY nice to know that places as green and as warm as this exist in the dead of winter. 

Currently we are in-between our workshop and our presentation and we have enough time that I decided to update my blog! Hooray!  

There has been many things to catch you up on since I have arrived in Hong Kong and I am unsure where to start so I figure I will start at the happiest place I  on earth... Hong Kong Disneyland!

Tuesday we went to give a presentation about Free the Children and our Think We tour at the Disney offices (we spoke in the Mickey Room!).  It was our pleasure to be introduced to Vivian, the Director of External Affairs, and Carrie, Manager of Community Relations for the Disney Hong Kong offices. We spoke briefly with them about our programs in China as well as our tour and our relationship with Club Penguin. It was a very nice to meet with them despite their hectic schedules and afterwards they offered us an opportunity to enter the park... which we not so reluctantly accepted.  


We had an absolute blast walking around Adventureland, Tomorrowland, Fantasyland and of course I felt right at home on Main Street, U.S.A..  We ran into some old Muppet friends, saw a Lion King performance, and Borja got to talk to Stitch!  Apparently, Stitch recognized Borja from an outer space prison haha.  It was pretty funny. There we NO lines so we got to ride Space Mountain TWICE and Borja and I stuck around for the Disney in the Stars performance at the end.  It really never gets old going to Disneyland. 

In other news, we have presented to several international schools in Hong Kong now, and they are all incredibly active and engaged in their communities and we are excited to be working with them helping them come up with fresh and new ideas on projects to work on and how to fund raise.  It really has been refreshing to see all of the support the students receive here!  

We went out to dinner last night at a random place near our hotel and the owner just happened to be entertaining guests at the same time - naturally we made friends.  We soon found out that we were in the "Boondock Saints" of Hong Kong and they welcomed me as Axel Foley from Detroit. Haha.  That was in addition to a student the other day at a Chinese school legitimately thinking I was Steve Nash.  Like, he thought I was joking with him that I wasn't.  I love China.  OK, our workshop is starting - catch you later!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Stevo,

Enjoying your blogs and daily escapades. Keep them coming.

Uncle Rick