Monday, January 11, 2010

And I thought Italian driving was bad...

Monday, January 11, 2010

3:51 PM ANSHAN –

Greetings from the backseat of our special Volkswagon sedan en route back "home" (as Leah so referred to it today) to Beijing.  As I type this we are flying past cars at 180 km/m giving a simple honk as we pass cars to let them know we are coming.  I feel surprisingly safe with William as our driver, but this is very much emblematic of my experiences abroad: Me in the backseat of a car unsure of the traffic codes and/or our destinations. We keep getting our picture taken by speed cameras.  I wave, William ducks.  It's quite fun. 

The past 24 hours has been a whirlwind tour.  We woke up early yesterday, ready for our journey to Anshan.  As soon as Borja arrived, true to form, the first thing he said to us was: "Alright guys, change of plans…"  haha. Apparently, our flight home wasn't booked properly so we audibled and jumped into William's car for the five hour drive.  By the time we get home (late tonight) we will have driven easily over 11 hours, delivered two speeches and eaten four HUGE sit-down meals in a span of 30 hours.  Not bad, eh?

While highlights of the trip included meeting our accountant Victor's sister, our four-star hotel suite, working with Leah until late adapting our speech, and a caramelized potato dish that I am surprised isn't more popular in the US, I think the best way to describe my experience in Anshan is through pictures. So before my battery dies I hope to download and tag most of my pictures from this trip so I can upload them when I get back to the hostel in Beijing. Until the next time, Ganbaei! 

1 comment:

Jean Schrage said...

Awesome Stephen!!! A picture is worth a thousand words. It is great to see what you are doing. How did the speeches go? How much English did the students understand? How long was each speech? Did you go to 2 schools?
It is so exciting to be a part of your experience!
LOve, MOM:)