Monday, May 17, 2010

Where in the world?


Hello friends and family!



Happy Monday! This week finds me in the small town of Vernon, British Columbia, where today marks the 76th school I will have spoken at since I started my tour way back in October. It sure doesn't seem like that many.

I have been going through pictures and starting to post some of them on facebook and I am having fun looking back on all of the students. Most of the faces I remember, if not the names, and I can certainly remember the incredible amount of smiles, excitement, and passion that they share. No matter where I have traveled the common theme has been that the students are ready and willing to do something for others. I have seen 8 year olds decide that there is too much litter and that they want to organize campus cleanup days. I have seen students risk popularity points and call each other out on acts of bullying. I have seen a family get together and rally around their daughter in efforts to raise enough money to adopt an entire village in Africa.

And that's just scratching the surface. Every school I have been to has been involved in their local and global communities in some way or another. And sometimes it's just a small group with a super energetic educator, sometimes it's the whole school community. It's exciting to see that no matter what our age, background, or location, there is inherently a desire in each of us to want to do good for those around us. And while definitions of what is 'good' may differ, it is easy to see that hope, desire, faith, willingness, whatever you want to call it is a good enough reason for kids to DO something, anything, to make their mark in a positive light.

On top of all of this, I have been fortunate enough to have visited some of the earths greatest natural treasures, man's greatest triumphs and disasters, and have fostered relationships with friends new and old. And while I know there is still much more work to do, I can't help but stop every now and then to count my blessings and thank all of you for being a tremendous part of it all. I am really one of the luckiest men on the face of the earth.

But what good is it all without pictures? No worries, my friends.

Think We!: http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2760195&l=929e6a8ec0&id=2207325

Mahalo, 'Ohana! : http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2760196&l=b11838092b&id=2207325

Might Mo and the Sunken Ship: http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2760192&id=2207325&l=a06a0af2b6

More to come soon, it's speech time!

Steve

- Sent via Schragooster

Location:Okanagan Hwy,Vernon,Canada

No comments: