Sunday, July 27, 2008

Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid. Goethe said that. (Almost Famous)

Monday 1:40 AM – SESTO FIORENTINO

Hi everybody!
I am excited to write this post tonight because I have a lot I want to get out in it. I have decided that I am going to take a little bit of a different route with my postings from here on out - enough with the recap of the week’s (or month’s) events. Now I am going to try and focus on defining and (perhaps more importantly) redefining myself through the recollection of my experiences or even those of others.
I am going to start off right away by saying that the past year and a half has been pretty crazy in terms of where I have been and who I have been around. I have constantly been around friends, family, and people who have kept me busy with various activities or just wanting to hang out. I am beginning to realize now that I haven’t allowed myself time for me. Stevetime. Lately here in Sesto while the majority of students have been away on weekend trips, I have been able to find some time to relax and re-evaluate who I am and where I am looking to go.
I decided that I get a lot of my thinking done while I’m at a computer and that I needed a project or a hobby for myself so I bought a website and will publish it as soon as I am happy with it. That may not be for a while since I am only going to have access to my computer for a couple of more days, but I will work on it as much as I can. I have really found it grueling, yet fun trying to re-learn HTML and though it is really frustrating trying to figure out how to make it work, it gives me a chance to be creative in how I go about it. More on that to come.
I end work here at the villa Friday and begin my 3-week long Italian tour Saturday. I am both excited and antsy to get it underway; excited because I will be going to parts of Italy that I have never seen and relaxing with some friends, antsy because I am anxious to get home and find a job to make back all the money I am about to invest in this trip.
Another objective of my new blogpost format will be to simply describe some of the observations I make all the time but never seem to remember or jot down. I think they are interesting and I’m sure some of them might interest you as well. I would really enjoy it if other people added to or even contradicted my observations with some of their own but who knows what kind of readership this new format will get. Either way I am anticipating some sort of response and will be delighted to hear from others. If nothing else at least maybe Danny will post and call me a dork or something.
To try and describe the millions of observations I have made in the past year would be an impossible task but at least now I think I will try more often to post and think out through my ideas when I have alone time. I think uncertainty has played a greater factor in my current lacking of a self-definition. I have gone hastily through some of my thought processes and have not been pleased with the outcomes. It took a meeting last week with a Chief officer at the embassy in Rome to realize that I know who I am and what I am capable of, I just have to stick with it and trust that it is going to work out. I will find a job when I get home, I’m not going to fret too long over here and not enjoy my time.
 have been fortunate, since I have been here in Florence, to have the opportunity to explore a lot of artistic ideas though I haven’t put many into practice. I just got a call from the hospital. Time to work. Catch up later.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Stevo,

Good to hear from you (the last 2 postings). Sorry for not replying before, but we were doing a bit of our own traveling. We made a family trip to DC and enjoyed it! Megan did not find it as interesting as JD (as she has not yet study US history in school). JD absolutely loved it! We saw a Nationals game while we were there and we saw John Burchett. John had us out to his place in Rohobeth Beach, DE and then let us use his place in DC while he went to CA on a business trip for Google. We also saw the 3D movie of U2 in concert at the Smithsonian IMAX ~ it was way cool!!!

On the way back we stopped in Pittsburgh to take in a Pirates game ~ PNC Park is really nice (it blows Comerica away!). Pittsburgh was a cool place to see.

JD and Meg had baseball, swimming, and softball. They both did very well. JD made the All-Star team and had the game winning hit. He also did well in the playoffs before his team bowed out in the semis. Meg's softball team wrapped up an undefeated season (they have only lost 2 games in the last 4 seasons!!!) She also did very well at swim finals ~ quite the fish!

I traveled out to CA to see my mom who is currently battling Stage 4 Lymphoma. I was able to be with her and my dad during her second chemo treatment. I was also able to see some friends and take in The Police concert with Sting ~ great show (last time I saw them was 23 years ago with some of the same friends!!!).

We then just go back from up north (Glen Arbor/Empire Michigan) from a fun weekend on the beautiful michigan lakes. Megan water skiied for the first time (takes after Aunt Patty ~ who was thrilled!!!)

The Tigers continue to struggle and can't win a close game (bullpen is a wreck). I look foward to hearing about the european perspective of the Olympics while you are traveling abroad.

I also look forward to your new blog format. As I told you, I enjoy your musings as well as your insights/perspectives.

You will have no problem finding a job once you put your mind to what it is you want to do. Take all the experiences you have had and put them to best use to do something you enjoy!!!

Enjoy your travels, we look forward to hearing about them as well as catching up on your blog.

Best Wishes,

Unlce Bruin

Anonymous said...

Stevo, WTF it's been a month. Some of us enjoy reading about your story on life and the path your going even though we may not write anything back ............. we are watching :)

So update your GD blog would you!

See you soon Bud

Nucle Bob

P.S. Even Danny's not commenting anymore :(