Sunday, June 06, 2010

Prairie land

Hello world!

I am sitting in the middle of a dirt road in front of the St. John's United Church 'Field of Honour' (Canadian for cemetery) in Bonnyville, Alberta. It's 11:24 and I was hoping to catch some stars out here before I head back to the bright lights of the big city on Tuesday, but because I am so far north it is still light out! Crazy, hey?

It is very peaceful where I am right now. You can hear all the sounds of the night animals and the rumbling of the cars from the highway out in the distance.

I figured I'd take a few minutes to reflect on these past few months I have spent traveling and really take it in. Since the beginning of the year I have traveled with two partners to four continents, six countries, sixteen states/provinces, and over 80 schools. I have hiked six state parks, climbed the Great Wall of China, drove a Lamborghini, poked a jellyfish, Rick-Rolled an entire restaurant, and warmed up with snuggies at a baseball game. I have met friends new and old and even picked up a new portable computing device to help me keep in touch with them. It's wild to think that I when I get back to Toronto that I will even be prepared to face a summer all in one place.

And while I know that I will never be able to truly get rid of this travel bug bite (I will especially miss the fact that every night I get a new little bottle of shampoo and conditioner), I am looking forward to spending more time in one area and having a selection of clothing bigger than one suitcase.

I am excited to watch the World Cup, cheer on the Red, White & Blue, watch a few Jays games at the Rogers Centre and grill out with my new roomies.

I am excited to see what role I will be taking on throughout the summer, excited to watch as FTC continues to grow and we prepare for another We Day extravaganza, and excited to take some time off and go home to see family and friends.

And while I sit here with the grasshoppers chirping, the coyotes/wolves howling in the not too far distance, and the stars finally starting to show themselves in the prairie night sky, I can't help but think of how fortunate I have been - not just for the places I have visited, but also for the people I have met. I have learned so much in the past year but one of my biggest takeaways will stem from a comment I heard several times at schools in Hawaii referring to families that lived on the beach:

Families may be houseless, but they sure aren't homeless.

Even though I have been houseless for pretty much the whole year, I have always felt close to home through emails, late night Skype sessions, phone calls, and rendezvous with friends and family in far away places. The Hawaiian kids know what's up. And I couldn't do it without you so I just want to say thanks.

Oh, and there is an open invite to come visit Toronto this summer. I'll take you to a Jays game.

Goodnight!


- Sent via Schragooster

1 comment:

Jean Schrage said...

Stephen,
That was a beautiful letter! You have been blessed to be a part of such an awesome organization and to have experienced so many different places and met so many people. I am glad you realize how lucky you are.
Enjoy the next step, whatever it may be and know that your family is always just a phone call away!
We love and miss you!
MOM:)