Friday, July 31, 2009

Week Three

Hello again!

Wow! It's incredible to think that I am already beginning week three here! Time flies when you are (busy and) having fun, I guess – And man have I been (busy and) having fun…

I am beginning to get the hang of the structure of the organization and each day I feel more and more comfortable with the ideas/concepts we are trying to relay. Yesterday after work we put on a "Free Stuff Giveaway" at a local park. Here is the story... In order to get the hang of facilitating discussions throughout the summer we practice our facilitation techniques on each other. One of our modules calls for groups to “Take Action” so in the spirit of participating and actually doing what we encourage other people to do, we had different groups create action plans and then carry them out. The group I joined was already well underway and had decided to collect “stuff” from staff that they don’t want or won’t use anymore and we brought it to the park after work for anyone to take. It turned out to be a huge success.
While in the park we met randomly with a youth group that was giving away free food and water for the same “just because” reason. It worked out incredibly. The park that we went to was full of … characters… and it was a very good opportunity for me to practice explaining our organization to many people who have never heard of it before – including some of the world’s biggest skeptics – even though we were really just there to give away free stuff. It turns out I am not half bad at explaining our concept and design (to help show people that they are capable of making significant positive impacts on the world around them) and that with some help and fine tuning I may even be able to bring it to people all over the world! With that note…

I Found out what my Tour is!! And that deserves its own post…

2 comments:

Jean Schrage said...

Stephen -
Great post - keep them coming. I can't wait to hear more about what you are doing. Looking forward to seeing you this weekend. Keep yourself safe!
Love, MOM:)

Schrag said...

Hi Steve - Your cause and mission with Me to We seems very inspiring. Can't wait to hear more about your adventures and experiences.

The efforts of your organization reminds me of the movie, "Pay It Forward".

Keep up the great work and please share more details in your blogs as you travel and speak.

Pops